MEDIA INFORMATION

 
 
 
COLLECTION NAME:
Archivision Digital Research Library
Record
Title:
Saint Giles' Cathedral
Title:
Detail, Life of Christ windows (ca. 1872-1883); Crucifixion
Alternate Title:
High Kirk of Edinburgh
View:
Detail, Life of Christ windows (ca. 1872-1883); Crucifixion
Creators:
unknown (Scottish (Scots))
Date:
1829-1833 (alteration); ca. 1350-1500 (creation)
Style/Period:
Gothic (Medieval)
Location:
site: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Location Note:
Royal Mile, off High Street, West Parliament Square
GPS:
+55.949444-3.190833
Culture:
British; Scottish (Scots)
Materials:
stone; ashlar; stained glass
Work Types:
buildings; religious buildings; churches; cathedrals; visual works; stained glass (visual works)
Description:
Although there has been a church on the site since ca. 1130, the present building dates principally from the 14th century. The five nave bays, the transepts and four of the five choir bays were all built ca. 1365-1395. Additions including aisles, the distinctive crown spire and the raising of a clerestory over the nave were all made by 1500. The exterior was inappropriately refaced in ashlar by William Burn in 1829-1833. Most of the stained glass dates from 1872-1883, financed by William Chambers; this renovation also created a single interior space. The North and West windows are 20th century. St. Giles' was only a cathedral in its formal sense (i.e. the seat of a bishop) for two periods during the 17th century (1635-1638 and 1661-1689); it is now Church of Scotland (Presbyterian). The Order of the Thistle Chapel was designed by Robert S. Lorimer and finished in 1911. It contains stalls for the 16 knights, the Sovereign's stall and two Royal stalls. (Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.oxfordartonline.com/)
Classification:
Architecture and City Planning
Technique:
carving (processes); construction (assembling); stained glass
Image Rights:
© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.
Vendor ID:
1A2-SC-E-SGC-C24
MDID Identifier:
57956
Archivision Set:
Archivision Addition Module Seven
View Description:
Most of the stained glass in St Giles’ dates from the Chambers Restoration (1872-1883) onwards. The Life of Christ cycle at the east end of the church was made by the Edinburgh firm of Ballantine, and forms a continuous narrative over seven windows, including the great east window. The Ballantine family, in various partnerships, created a total of 21 stained glass windows for St Giles’.
Link To Source

Detail, Life of Christ windows (ca. 1872-1883); Crucifixion

Detail, Life of Christ windows (ca. 1872-1883); Crucifixion